Sunday, December 16, 2012

FOO FIGHTERS PLAY LAST SHOW IN CENTRAL PARK




"What a beatufiul night," observed Foo Fighters front man Dave Grohl at the Global Citizen Festival in New York City's Central Park.  Over 27,000 pairs of free (yes, you read that right) tickets were issued for a one-day music festival in the Great Lawn last month. "This is incredible. It's an honor to be here with you tonight," Grohl exclaimed as his band took the stage after a lengthy set from The Black Keys.  "I'm not playing for you; I'm playing wtih you."

"I wrote this song for nights like these."  With his signature open-mouthed gum-chewing, Grohl - alone on stage - launched into the guitar riff that kicks off "Times Like These."  The remaining Foos patiently waited offstage while their band's founder played through the first half of the tune on his electric guitar.  Once drummer Taylor Hawkins, bassist Nate Mendel, lead guitarist Chris Shiflett and rhythem guitarist Pat Smear joined Grohl to finish out their set's opener, the Foo Fighters ripped into "All My Life."  And let me tell you, there was enough banging of the head and whipping of the hair to make Willow Smith green with envy.  After Grohl's about-to-burst veins disappeared back into his neck, the band launched into a rousing sing-along wtih "My Hero."

"Hey! Ladies and gentlemen, I wish we could play all night, you know?" began the Foos' lead vocalist.  "We don't have any shows after this; this is it. 'Cuz honestly? I don't know when we're gonna do this again. I'm just gonna stop talking or else we're gonna be here for three hours."  I would've been okay with that. Just sayin'...

"I like that," announced Grohl as roughly 60,000 people clapped along in the midst of "Arlandria," a song honoring the rock star's time spent in Arlington and Alexandria, VA.  "If you had any fucking idea how beautiful that looks from up here."

"This song goes out to all you people," declared Grohl before "Best Of You" and finally "Everlong," the latter closing out a too-short set from one of the world's best rock bands.  Walking away from the gig, I could only thing one thing: Dave Grohl is the epitome of a rock star. I dare you to disagree.



No comments:

Post a Comment